11 April

People we meet along the path of life are like footprints in the sand

I know it's been a while since I've blogged, but I've been really busy, and trying to come to terms with the fact that I'm 21 (*gasp* I'm aging with every breath) and I have yet to do anything that can be remotely called an achievement. Not in my terms anyway.

But anyway, I just wanna say that I was very much reminded of something written on a bookmark which Chirstian classmate of long ago used back then. This bookmark had the words of "footprints in the sand" wrtten on it and spoke about how friends and people we meet along the way in life are just inevitably footprints in the sand - erasable and therefore vulnerable.

Although I'm not Chirstian, I think the words make sense, especially considering an incident today. It's sad but true that people we meet whom we think (or thought) are/were nice, may not turn out to be nice after a while when they tire of your company. Well, perhaps one is not in a position to judge whether people are nice or not ( afterall, an objective standard is definitely inappropriate and a subjective one is unascertainable.), but to put it PC-ly, perhaps their true personalities are just not compatible with one's own.

I just wish to say that firstly, while these footprints are erasable, they do not get erased on their own. In my opinion it would take a tide, wind or just some clumsy bystander to mess up the two sets of delicate footprints. When the footprints are destroyed this way, I think it is regretable and sad, but a general notion of "but it's fate, and we can't do anything about it because it's fate's doing" prevails. However, one of the persons stepping on the sand while electing to step backwards away from the other, destroying the footprints in the process would fall in a different category. This latter situation, in my opinion, is infinitely more regretable, especially since it was voluntary.

Because it is a fact of life that footprints get destroyed sometimes, I feel that it would be better for the people involved if the erasing is done amicably as far as possible and cleanly. No sense sneering at the other party or resorting to voodoo dolls, and definitely no sense at all in trying to round up mutual aquantainces either against the other party/or for reasons of spite and vengeance. Perhaps it is extreme to think so, but I feel that lines should be drawn clearly, in black and white where possible. It would be wonderful if one could see a former associate and still be civil when addressing him/her.

But ideals will always be ideals, and because we're humans, the actual execution of that ideal may be far from simple.